Bougainville Copper spricht über Wiedereröffnung der Panguna Mine

• Hallo!

Die im folgenden zitierte Nachricht kam gestern über die Ticker. Es handelt sich um bemerkenswerte Statements, wenn man bedenkt, dass seit über einem Jahrzehnt keiner mehr das Wort "Wiedereröffnung" der Panguna-Mine in Bougainville in den Mund genommen hatte,.... zumindest seitens der offiziellen und öffentlichen Aussagen.

Sollte die Mine tatsächlich wieder aufgemacht werden? Was meint Ihr?

Bougainville Copper looks to the future
    Jesse Riseborough
    Thursday, March 02, 2006

AFTER years of reporting " there has been no production since 15th May 1989" , things may appear to be improving for Bougainville Copper following the election of a new autonomous government last year and recent meetings with the PNG Government discussing the possible resurrection of the massive Panguna copper-gold mine.

After reporting a net profit for 2005 of $A48,000 earlier in the week, company secretary Paul Coleman told PNGIndustryNews.net the time was now right to assess the future of Panguna, given the highs currently being enjoyed by both copper and gold prices.

" With the minerals boom that is going on at the moment, Bougainville Copper has got to reinvent itself one way or another – whether it is Panguna or whether it is something else – the time is now right and there is a window of opportunity," he said.

" It is really a matter of working out what the Bougainvilleans themselves want and once they have made up their mind then I think the next stage is, do they want development and do they want mining? Or are they still cautious about it.

" Once they have made up [their minds] on that issue, then we have got to discuss where Bougainville Copper fits into that whole picture. If it fits in pretty well, then maybe we could start looking at doing things."

Coleman said the company, which is majority-held by resources Goliath Rio Tinto (53.58%), had recently been in discussions with the PNG Government, which also holds a 19% stake, and now hoped to meet with the new autonomous government in the coming month.

" We have been in discussions with those guys, the national government is definitely pushing it, the Minister for Mines is pushing it and it is now a matter of the Autonomous Government and us getting together," he said.

" That process has started but that is about as far as it has got. There is willingness on all parts, it is just a matter of getting all the parties together."

According to Bougainville's website, " company policy is still to ultimately divest the Bougainville assets" .

The Panguna mine operated from 1972 to 1989 and was closed after a series of violent attacks on employees. Since evacuating all employees from the island in early 1990, the company has not been able to return to Panguna to assess the level of damage and deterioration to the significant assets left behind.

Coleman said a resource of around 625 million tonnes at 0.4% copper and small amounts of gold remains in the ground at Panguna. There remains a moratorium on any form of exploration on Bougainville.

Previous cost estimates at restarting the Panguna operation have been put at more than $A1 billion.

" Certainly the future for Panguna is pretty good, if they want it to be," Coleman said.

The company has no employees but is being run by a small team of Rio Tinto Minerals staff from Port Moresby.

Robert Burns, general manager of Rio Tinto's Improving Performance Together division, was appointed a director of the company two months ago.

Bougainville Copper closed up 9c (15%) on the ASX today to 69c.

• hpopth

Ich verfolge den Wert erst seit rund 1 1/2 Jahren aber von meiner Recherche her hat der Minenbetreiber in der Tat seit 1989 nicht mehr von einer Wiedereröffnung gesprochen und auf Nachfrage bis heute stets das Desinvestment als Ziel ausgegeben.

Insofern wundert es mich, dass du davon sprichst, die Wiedereröffnung sei von einer der beteiligten Parteien (Regierung, Unternehmen) wiederholt kommuniziert worden. Hast du da Quellen? Würde mich sehr interessieren. Danke dir!

DUS

• KURS HEUTE PLUS 26% BEI HOHEN UMSÄTZEN!

Rio hosts Bougainville talks

Jesse Riseborough
    Tuesday, March 14, 2006

SPECULATION surrounding a resumption of mining operations on the island of Bougainville following a 17-year hiatus appears to be gathering momentum, with news that PNG Minister for Mines Sam Akoitai has arrived at Rio Tinto's London headquarters for talks with senior staff.

The news was splashed over the front page of the Post-Courier today under the headline 'Plan to mine Bougainville.'

The minister, who is from Bougainville, flew to London following a presentation at the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) convention in Toronto, according to the paper.

He will reportedly be holding " high-level talks" with Rio officials with regards to lifting the exploration moratorium on Bougainville Island. Rio holds a 53% stake in Bougainville Copper, the only company currently allowed to undertake any form of exploration on the island.

Akoitai told the Post-Courier the meeting with Rio would focus on lifting the moratorium to allow other potential investors to undertake exploration on the island.

Attempts by PNGIndustryNews.net to reach Bougainville Copper company secretary Paul Coleman and chairman Peter Taylor were unsuccessful, as both are overseas.

Bougainville Copper holds seven exploration licences throughout Bougainville with an exploration moratorium – concerning the entire island – in place, preventing any other form of exploration.

The company, the last to undertake any form of mining on the island, operated the massive Panguna copper-gold mine from 1972 to 1989. The mine was closed after a series of violent attacks on employees.

A resource of around 625 million tonnes at 0.4% copper and 0.4 grams per tonne of gold remains in the ground at Panguna.

Earlier this month, PNGIndustryNews.net spoke with Coleman who indicated that given the current highs enjoyed by copper and gold prices, the company would be looking to " reinvent" itself.

" With the minerals boom that is going on at the moment, Bougainville Copper has got to reinvent itself one way or another – whether it is Panguna or whether it is something else – the time is now right and there is a window of opportunity," he said.

Coleman said the company had recently been in discussions with the PNG Government, which holds a 19% stake, and now hoped to meet with the new Autonomous Government in the coming month.

" We have been in discussions with those guys, the national government is definitely pushing it, the Minister for Mines is pushing it and it is now a matter of the Autonomous Government and us getting together," he said.

Shares in Bougainville Copper closed up 16c (26.2%) on Tuesday to 77c.

QUELLE: http://pngindustrynews.net/storyview.asp?storyid=55469§ionsource=s0

man muss ein 30 tages trail ausfüllen, damit man den artiekl lesen kann

• Wow! Im Moment überschlagen sich ja die News.

Bin sehr gespannt, was die für Montag angekündigte Pressekonferenz bringen wird. Ich rechne nicht damit, dass man schon verbindlich von einer Wiedereröffnung spricht, aber klar den Willen aller beteiligten Parteien zu einer solchen bekunden wird.

Nach 50% Kursplus in 2 Tagen bin ich gespannt, ob es heute Nacht zu Gewinnmitnahmen in AU kommen wird. De facto aber stehen wir heute noch 20% niedriger als zu dem Zeitpunkt, als Francis Ona starb und spekulativ Geld in die Aktie getrieben wurde. Demnach müssten wir heute deutlich, deutlich höher stehen.

Schaun mer mal.............

DUS

• Auch wenn Siegel eine VK Empfehlung zu BOC herausgegeben hat,bis die Pangunamine wiedereröffnet ist nur eine Frage der (kurzen) Zeit.

Sowohl die Landeigner als auch das Autonome Bougainville Gouvernement sowie Bougainville Copper u. Rio Tinto sind für die Wiedereröffnung u. schon fleissig am Verhandeln der Bedingungen (New BCA)

Die heutige Meldung in der PNG Tageszeitung geht auch in diese Richtung.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/112106/nation7.htm

Bougainville govt demands total control over mine

By HARLYNE JOKU
    THE Autonomous Bougainville Government wants total control of the island’s copper mine alongside fiscal powers.
    This was the content of a formal notice which Joseph Watawi, Bougainville co-chairman of the joint supervisory body of implementation of the Bougainville agreement and acting president, presented to Bougainville Affairs Minister Sir Peter Barter last Thursday.
    The notice was made in June under Section 295 of the National Constitution “for the transfer of a function to the Autonomous Bougainville Government: Minerals and Mining and Oil and gas.”
    A delegation from ABG mining task force is currently in Port Moresby and expected to meet with concerned Government officials.
    They wanted that a meeting be called immediately to finalise within three months the procedures on power transfer.
    Mr Watawi said the question of mining was fundamental to Bougainville, not only as the means of attaining fiscal reliance but as a tool for complete reconciliation on the island.
    He said the Panguna mine “was a deep wound in the heart of Bougainville and the wound must be treated before real peace and understanding could be enjoyed throughout the autonomous region”.
    “Control of the powers of mining will facilitate these two fundamental requirements for our people. Critical issue that remains outstanding is the legal issue on the Bougainville Copper Agreement,” he said.
    Mr Watawi said the option of mineral development and fiscal self-reliance would mean that Bougainville will not have to rely on funding from the National government.
    The Bougainville government has been granted K98 million from the national budget.
    “We are ready to address the issue of mining in Bougainville as an immediate priority and we are requesting that these powers will be agreed upon and transferred before the end of 2006.
    “This would allow for negotiations with Rio Tinto and others interested in Bougainville,” Mr Watawi said.
    He said a critical item concerns the legal issue of the BCA which is part of the mining laws of PNG through the Mining (Bougainville Copper Agreement) Act 1967.
    The mining operation was disrupted leaving a lot of issue unresolved including landowners compensation.
    “ABG is not party to the agreement and should Panguna re-open, a new deal would need to be struck with the operator and investor.
    “ABG wants to develop the mining, oil and gas industry on Bougainville and the transfer of these powers are essential to kick-start our economy.
    “However, it realises that mining and exploration on Bougainville has been locked more or less into the BCA and into the mining laws of PNG, Mr Watawi said.
    Sir Peter told The National yesterday a decision could only be made by the National Executive Council and according to the Bougainville Peace Agreement (BPA), and after the request has been considered by relevant departments such as mining, lands and environment.
    Sir Peter said a 12-month notice was supposed to be given.
    He said whilst there is some flexibility, the National Government must be in conformity with the BPA.
    “To suddenly rush into providing these powers without due consideration could be irresponsible.
    “We need to assist Bougainville all we can to create an economy so they can in reality have their autonomy, but not at the expense of more conflict,” Sir Peter said.

Weitere Infos unter: http://www.friendsofbougainvil…s.cfm?FN=Details&CNTID=11

• Na na na, da wird doch wohl nicht jemand pushen wollen.

...und dann noch im falschen Sräd (dort wo die meisten sich tummeln).

Grüße
    Silberfuchs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Stirbt ein Bediensteter während einer Dienstreise, so ist damit die Dienstreise beendet."
    (Kommentar zum Bundesreisekostengesetz)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Silberfuchs ()

• Bin auch in BOC investiert und spekuliere auch auf die Festlegung auf eine Wiedereröffnung im kommenden Jahr.

Die Risiken sind weiterhin groß (politische und rechtliche Unsicherheiten, Finanzierung und "Altlasten" etc.), aber die Chancen sind m.E. adäquat. Aus Sicht der BOC-Anleger hat sich die Situation zumindest seit langer, langer Zeit nicht mehr so aussichtsreich dargestellt wie heute.

CCLSC

• Offizieller Beitrag

@All

Habe die beiden Threads,die sich mit der Wiedereröffnung befassen,zusammengefügt.

Es gibt bereits einen Thread über die Mine selbst:

http://www.goldseitenforum.de/thread.php?threadid=1862

Grüsse

"Die Märkte haben nie unrecht, die Menschen oft." Jesse Livermore, 20.Jh.

"Die Demokratie ist das Paradies der Schreier und Schwätzer, Phraseure, Schmeichler und Schmarotzer, die jedem sachlichen Talent weit mehr den Weg verlegen, als dies in einer anderen Verfassungsform vorkommt." E.von Hartmann

Dieser Beitrag ist eine persönliche Meinung gem. Art.5 Abs.1 GG und Urteil des BVG 1 BvR 1384/16

• "GEBT UNS 2 JAHRE UND PANGUNA IST WIEDER OFFEN!" :]

BOU1.F BOUGAINVILLE KI 1 (Frankfurt) 0.44 +
    12.82 18.91 0.05 0.38 63500 0.38 0.45
    21:05:17

This interview first ran around 0549 GMT

By James Attwood
    Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

SYDNEY (Dow Jones)--Papua New Guinea's government expects to agree
    terms with Bougainville authorities next year to lift a moratorium on
    mining in the battle-scarred island and resume operations the following
    year.

"Give us two years and mining will restart in the Panguna mine," PNG
    mining minister Sam Akoitai told Dow Jones Newswires Tuesday.
    Anglo Australian miner Rio Tinto Plc. (RTP) shut the massive Panguna
    copper and gold mine in May 1989 after repeated attacks on
    infrastructure and workers by secessionist rebels.

Speaking on the sidelines of a PNG mining conference in Sydney,
    Akoitai said both the Bougainville autonomous government and foreign
    investors are keen to resume activities in the minerals-rich South
    Pacific island once fiscal arrangements are agreed.
    "Bougainville is a place where every man and woman will swim across
    to," he said, when asked about the current level of investor interest.
    "I've been approached by many many companies who are interested in
    doing exploration in Bougainville and also companies interested in
    talking about Panguna," he said.

"But my approach would be I'd rather work with the devil I know than
    getting somebody new to come in and start again," he said, referring to
    Rio Tinto subsidiary Bougainville Copper Ltd. (BOC.AU)
    "I've had the opportunity to work with Bougainville Copper for nine
    years and think they're doing a very good job."
    Besides holding the position of PNG national mining minister, Akoitai
    is also the parliamentary member for Central Bougainville.
    Panguna produced about 180,000 tons of copper a year to rank as the
    world's third-largest copper mine. It remains closed despite a 1998
    cease-fire and the formation of an autonomous island government.
    Any decision on resuming mining at the dismantled operation is
    estimated to cost around US$1 billion.

Before any decision can be taken, however, stakeholders must complete
    a review of new fiscal and operating terms for exploration and mining on
    the island, Akoitai said.

The long-delayed review process is expected to begin in the first
    quarter of next year and take "months" to complete, he said, adding the
    benefits for Bougainville would have to be significantly better than
    current terms.

"It's an issue close to me. I'm from Bougainville and I also represent
    the electorate where the mine is. I would want the review process to be
    concluded quickly so we can decide the future of mining in
    Bougainville."

"The whole reason the government in Bougainville asked for this review
    process to began is so we can sort out the outstanding issues and then
    perhaps start mining from a clean sheet."

Benefits for the local community would have to be in line with new
    benchmarks of modern mines, he said, without elaborating.
    Akoitai said Australia's Ord River Resources Ltd. (ORD.AU) and
    Gallipoli Mining Pty Ltd are among companies to make recent approaches
    to authorities on the possibility of exploring in Bougainville.
    -By James Attwood, Dow Jones Newswires; 612-8235-2957;

• weist du...ein Gegner hat hin und wieder Intellekt...das ist etwa was dir meiner bescheidenen Meinung nach völlig abgeht. :D :D :D

Du kannst hier sogar mit Multinicks dich mit dir selbst unterhalten......virtuelle Sandkastenspiele.......diese Personen werden hier als geistige Horizontalonanisten eingeschätzt.

@Hotte: CCLSC möchte ich ausdrücklich in Schutz nehmen...er zählt zur Elite des W.O. Boards.

cu DL......und der Rentner ist jemand ganz anderer...aber immer schön PEMsen statt BOCen :D :D :D

• AU Orderbuch zum Boersenschluss

Sellers
    Price Quantity Number
    1.190 4,000 1
    1.230 6,000 1
    1.235 3,500 1
    1.240 5,000 1
    1.300 6,000 1
    1.450 5,727 1
    2.000 5000 1
    Das Angebot reduziert sich immer weiter,ein Kauf von 35K u. BOC hätte auf 2 AUD geschlossen.

Vor 14 Tagen hat sich Präs. Somare von MP. Kabui zu BOC briefen lassen u. jetzt eine 3er Delegation von B' ville zum Pacific Leaders Forum eingeladen.
    Wie es scheint wurde zwischen ihnen eine Einigung bez. Mining erreicht u. das ist jetzt so langsam am durchsickern.

Könnte natürlich auch sein dass Albanese von RT die Einladung zu einem Treffen mit Somare u. Kabui angenommen hat ;-)))

http://www.thenational.com.pg/101607/Nation%2027.htm

• Nachdem BOC in AU mit +8.57% geschlossen hat kommt auch in D so langsam Kauflaune auf.(VOL ADRs 262K +6,27% Aktien 13K +4,35%)
    Zwischen 10:30 u.10:45 hat sich jemand 200K gefischt ;-))

Interessant der Spread zwischen ADRs u. Aktien.

Die ADRs gibts z.Zt. noch mit über 10% Rabatt . Ich gehe davon aus dass sich die Kurse mit steigender US Nachfrage weiter angleichen werden ;-))

Schriftgröße:  A A A A A