Croesus Mining N.L. WKN 871 679 ISIN AU000000CRS5 CRS

• Crunch time for Croesus

JOHN PHACEAS

Kalgoorlie gold icon Croesus Mining was fighting for survival last night after calling crisis talks with its bankers and launching a strategic business review after a disastrous first half.

Croesus called a trading halt before revealing a $27 million loss in the December half in the wake of a massive blowout in production costs and hedging liabilities.

At the same time, former Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines chief Bob Crew and former Joondalup City Council chairman Campbell Ansell stepped down as non-executive directors.

Chairman Michael Kiernan, who joined the company in early November, said the halt had been called to give the company time to review its operations and map out a sustainable business plan.

"What we can say is that we intend to make a release by Monday morning about the future direction of Croesus," he said.

"We need to review the current operations and future operations of Croesus, we need to review the mine plan and exploration - we've just come off a $27 million loss - and felt it was appropriate to put a trading halt on so that we're able to put a release out that talks about the total future and the way forward.

"I didn't want things coming out in dribs and drabs."

Mr Kiernan declined to comment further, but Croesus is understood to have started talks with its bankers, most notably key hedging counterparty Macquarie Bank, to defer its forward sales commitments and allow the company to sell gold on to the spot market.

A $25 million loss on the mark-to-market value of its hedgebook was the biggest contributor to its first half loss, wiping out $9.6 million in related tax benefits.

At the end of December, Croesus' hedgebook commitments stood at 159,570 ounces at an average delivery price of $582/oz, and 60,000oz in sold call options at a strike price of $623/oz, representing about 35 per cent of its ore reserves.

Revenue also plunged 40 per cent to $40.3 million in the half as production slumped to 62,710oz and costs blew out to $604/oz, reflecting the forced closure of the tired Davyhurst operation near Kalgoorlie in August and declining grades at its core Norseman operations.

In the same half of the previous year, Croesus - then WA's biggest home-grown gold miner after the collapse of Gwalia - produced 112,000oz at $372/oz for first half profit of $5 million.

While Croesus then boasted cash reserves of $19 million, it only had $2.6 million left in the tin at the end of December - despite banking $5 million from the sale of Davyhurst to Kiernan-chaired junior Monarch Resources in December - before raising $8.6 million in a rights issue in January.

Management is believed to have already determined that insufficient mine planning and underground development has been completed at Norseman to keep Croesus' head above water.

Norseman is understood to be producing only 7000oz a month versus the 10,000oz needed to remain profitable, resulting in operating losses of more than $1 million a month as costs have ballooned above $800/oz.

In what was already shaping as its worst ever year, Croesus warned in late November that it expected to book a pre-tax loss of $28 million, including an $18 million paper loss on the value of its hedgebook under new accounting rules.

• [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.faz.net/m/%7B7A48FE0D-CD04-47A9-B7DA-01B75DDBA901%7Dpicture.jpeg]

Es sieht so aus, als ob Croesus auf der Kippe steht.

Und sowas haut natürlich auf den Kurs.

Würd mir wünschen, dass bei Wiedereröffnung

des Handel -wird sicher nicht schon am Montag sein-

der Kurs fürchterlich fallen wird.

Mit der letzten Kokosnuss ab in den Busch.

Oute mich weiter als optimistischer CRS-Loser.

gogh

• Offizieller Beitrag

habe mal hier im Forum eine Definition einer australischen Mine gelesen....ein Loch im Boden und ein Dutzend Lügner darum herum....

.....was der Siegel nur mit Oz am Hut hat? Man wundert sich.

Aber Abstauberlimit finde ich gut, für den Fall dass die Pleite vermieden wird.

Gruss,
    Lucky

"Das einzige Geld, auf das ich mich verlassen kann, ist das Gold, das ich besitze" J.Sinclair
    "Omikron ist die Impfung, die herzustellen man verpasst hat" Lungenfacharzt in Uganda
    "The whole game is rigged" Gerald Celente

• nur wo liegt das Abstauberlimit?

Bei letztem Kurs von 0,27 ASD kostete Croesus

-MKP plus Schulden- ca. 100 Mio ASD.

Da laufen eigene Maschinen in eigenen Minen,

Reserven 450.000 Oz, Resourcen 2 Mio Oz.

Das hedging hält sich mit 200.000 Unzen

um die 600 ASD/oz noch im Rahmen.

gogh

• Sunday Mar 19 18:25 AEDT

WA gold mine off rails: Croesus boss
    Sunday Mar 19 09:29 AEDT
    Western Australian gold miner Croesus Mining Nl says it will remain in a trading halt for up two weeks while it considers the future of its gold mining operations.

The miner said it would conduct a thorough review of gold production forecasts at its Norseman gold operation in Western Australia.

Chairman Michael Kiernan said the Norseman operation had simply gone off the rails.

"The Norseman ore bodies are sound and the company's regional tenements highly prospective," he said.

"However, from a cost point of view the operation has simply gone off the rails even in this time of high gold prices."

The company is also conducting a review of all its business, including its current hedge book and capital requirements going forward.

Croesus has reported a net loss of $27.38 million for the first half of 2005/06 on the back of revenue of $45.1 million.

The company had warned shareholders to expect a loss of around $28 million after the mines produced less gold than anticipated.

After making the profit warning last November, Croesus had said it expected to return to profitability in the second half.

Gold forecasts for 2005/06 in November were around 120,000 and 130,000 ounces of gold.

Shares in Croesus were at 27.5 cents ahead of the trading halt.

©AAP 2005 - http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=67497

linar :)

• 14 tagiger trading halt.....versuche mal Ron Manners den alten Chairman zu erreichen....der spielt immer Tennis mit einem alten Busenfreund.

Und dann schaun mer mal....aber nur ein punt.

cu DL......weil wo gibt es Minen saubillig..genau wenns Scheisse geht. :P :P :P

• Tough times at Croesus

Ben Sharples
    Friday, March 17, 2006

CROESUS Mining will remain in a trading halt for at least another two weeks as a new mine plan for its mainstay Norseman operation is developed, but chairman Michael Kiernan is adamant [darauf bestehen] the problems do not signal the end of the company.

Croesus Mining's Norseman gold plant

"What I can say quite clearly is Croesus is not going down the tube," Kiernan told MiningNews.net.

Alarm bells started ringing yesterday after the Kalgoorlie-based gold producer posted a $A27.38 million loss for the first half of fiscal 2005-06, two directors resigned and the company entered into a trading halt.

The company called the halt pending a release regarding "a strategic review" three hours before it announced its half-year report, which was followed by news that directors Campbell Ansell and Robert Crew had resigned.

Kiernan said productivity at the Harlequin underground mine was a serious problem with major flaws in the mine plan, which has been compounded by very little capital development over the past 12 months.

"Bullen is a good mine and it's producing well, Harlequin is an absolute nightmare, it's worse than a basket case," [hoffnungslose Sache] Kiernan said. "Its productivity is about 25% of the industry average."

"The volumes and the ounces are simply not there, and to compound that they've hedged themselves based on the forward delivery of ounces ... now it has to produce 10,000 ounces per month to adequately deliver into the hedge.

"At best, it's done 7000oz per month.

"We think we can build Bullen up to 4000oz [per month], and it looks like Harlequin at best is going to 3000 or 4000oz, so we're about 2000oz behind the eight ball.

"We may well have to stop mining in one of the mines, we may have to stop mining in both of the mines [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.smiliemania.de/smilie132/00000116.gif], but it's a great orebody, there's great exploration prospectivity and it hasn't been run properly."

Kiernan said the company would try and maintain the mine going forward, but it would take an attitude and commitment from five groups including Croesus, the workforce and the community of Norseman, the shire, the state government, and the hedging counterparties.

"If the five parties want to work together and pull in the same direction we'll have a great company," Kiernan said. "I will work like hell to keep the business going, but if one of those five groups wants to be a loose cannon, they will bring the whole castle down."

"When the going gets tough the tough get going, and it's tough.

"Quite clearly we've got a case where a previous group hedged and they couldn't deliver into that hedge, and now we've got to modify the operation accordingly.

"We're developing a new mine plan based on reality and not fiction. I've given the guys two weeks to come back and based on reality we will develop strategies and we will then telegraph it to the world."

Hedging contracts bit hard at Croesus during the half, contributing $25 million to the loss.

At the end of December, the company's hedge book comprised 159,750oz with an average delivery price of $A582/oz, representing around 35% of the ore reserves, and 60,000oz of sold call options at a strike price of $623/oz.

Paterson Securities analyst Alex Passmore told MiningNews.net that although hedging was biting hard, the company's weighted average hedge price is $602/oz, which the company should still be able to make money out of.

"I think they have a good relationship with their bankers and they'll try and roll that forward but I don't think the hedge book will cripple the company," he said.

Croesus produced 62,700oz during the half at cash costs of $604/oz, compared with 112,705oz at cash costs of $370/oz for a profit of $5 million in the corresponding period in 2004.

At the end of the half, Croesus only had $2.6 million in cash, despite banking $5 million for the sale of its idle Davyhurst operation to the Kiernan-chaired Monarch Resources. A further $8.6 million was subsequently raised from a share rights issue in January.

Naja, Kiernan malt vielleicht aus bestimmten Gründen ein bißchen zu schwarz, er will Druck auf Banken, Belegschaft und staatliche Stellen ausüben.
    10.000 Unzen müsste Norseman für die Hedges produzieren, 7.000 sinds tatsächlich; nach Optimierung vielleicht 8000, fehlen immer noch 2.000.

• Dieser CEO Kiernan ist mir sympathisch.

Nicht wegen dem was er gerade gesagt hat;

sondern für seine Tat.

Zwei sälenheilige in der Geschäftsleitung skalpiert.

Er hat 2 Klinsmänner erlegt.

Ihm gebühren 2 buschige Fuchsschwänze am Manta.

gogh

• Kiernan hat bei Consolidated Minerals wirklich gute Arbeit geleistet. Und mir gefällt seine zupackende "No-Bullshit"-Attitüde.

Doch das er bei Croesus nun Wunder vollbringt, ich weiss nicht...

Ich halte es da lieber frei nach Warren Buffett:

"Lieber eine erstklassige Mine mit drittklassigem Management als eine drittklassige Mine mit erstklassigem Management."

Einiges interessanter erscheint mir Kiernans anderes neues Projekt, Monarch Resources (MRS). MRS baut zwar auch auf marginal profitablen Erzkörpern (mit denen Siberia Mining unterging), verfügt aber über eine ordentliche Mill und vor allem: Keine Heding-Verpflichtungen. Wenn die Macquarie-Banker mal eine Firma an den Eiern haben, wird's vor allem den Aktionären weh tun...

• Würd mich nur interessieren, was mit den neuen Stollen

am HARLEKIN Schacht los ist.

Kiernan sagt, dort hat man zuwenig performance

weil die Exploration vorher fehlerhaft war.

Waren die Drill-Ergebnisse fingiert

oder hat man nur zuwenig Löcher gebohrt um zu sparen?

Von solchen "Kleinigkeiten" hängt viel ab.

gogh

• Nee, gogh, Exploration ist im Prinzip gar nicht möglich.

Ein Erzkörper wird ja nicht nur durch den Erzgrad beschrieben sondern auch durch die Verteilung der Erze. Lieber 1g/t in einem großen, konsistenten Erzkörper als 15 g/t in kleinen Erzadern, die dauernd die Richtung wechseln. Wie will man da explorieren, man bohrt einfach immer nur dran vorbei. Das einzige vernünftige bei solchen Minen ist abbauen und abbauen und abbauen bis die Ader zu Ende ist. Ohne Exploration. Croesus hatte lange genug Probleme bei der Definition neuer Reserven und so wundert es gar nicht daß die Ergebnisse jetzt nicht gerade zuverlässig sind.

Gruß
    S.

• Saccard: klaro ..so eine Scheisse kann niemand drillen..es ist pures Geldverbrennen...aber Banken wollen es so.

Ich war vor Jahren selbst in Norseman unten..aber was siehst du da eine schwarze Höhle....die Geologie dort ist absolut beschissen..aber da ist noch Gold für Jahrzehnte ....aber keine Reserven ..und das ist das Problem das Kiernan lösen muss und wird.

cu DL

Schriftgröße:  A A A A A